The Senior Director, US Medical Affairs Strategy & Field Medical Excellence (SD, US Med Affairs) will drive Field Medical Excellence (FME) ensuring the execution of US Field Medical strategic plans, launch readiness for Imetelstat including Field Liaison deployment, tools, resources, and key systems and processes in collaboration with the VP, Medical Affairs, Commercial Team (e.g., Access & Reimbursement, Outcomes & Evidence Generation, Commercial Directors), and cross-functional partners in HR, IT, Legal, and Clinical.
The individual will have previous field medical experience, a demonstrated ability to work in a cross-functional dynamic environment, and excels at both tactical and strategic execution. This position will coordinate healthcare professional engagement planning strategy, manage the collection, synthesis, and reporting of insights by the field medical team, and ensure training and over-arching operational excellence within field medical.
The SD, US Med Affairs also leads and manages vendors/external partners overseeing creation and implementation of resources and tools for field medical deployment, medical education, medical information, publication planning, and patient advocacy. He/she will also interact with external collaborators such as healthcare practitioners, professional associations, payers, and advocacy partners. This is a remote based position with a corporate headquarters in Foster City, CA and Parsippany, NJ and reports to the Vice President, Medical Affairs.
- Ensures implementation of a scalable Field Medical organization by developing, launching, and maintaining capabilities, processes, and systems for the Field Medical teams (e.g., team logistics/operational activity coordination, territory management tools, HCP lists and engagement plans); builds and conducts ongoing assessments to identify gaps and opportunities for improvement to achieve operational excellence. Establishes field medical documentation and regular reporting processes
- Ensures execution of medical engagement and launch plans through identification of meaningful metrics /KPI that represent the value and impact of Field Medical. Routinely tracks and communicates qualitative and quantitative KPIs and achievements and adjusts strategic plan as needed
- Plans, develops, and manages Field Medical onboarding/training resources and tools, primarily clinical presentation slide decks, educational materials, and reactive field materials in collaboration with key clinical partners ensures field resource content is aligned and consistent with Medical Affairs strategy as well as identified needs in the field
- Develops and implements process to assess key Field Liaison competencies (e.g., disease state knowledge, treatment landscapes, and emerging products clinical data)
- Partners with IT and Commercial Operations to design/deliver innovative in-field resources adapting to evolving HCP learning and engagement landscapes and coordinates field operational activities as relevant
- Ensures identification and implementation of effective field medical-related technology/digital/IT enablers and technology enhancements. Serves as point for Field Medical CRM troubleshooting
- Responsible for maintaining, updating, and educating on field medical operational policies, ensuring activities are adherent to all internal policies and processes
- Responsible for field medical insight initiatives coordination, data gathering, and reporting
- Ensures Field Medical readiness for evidence generation programs such as, but not limited to, post-approval research IITs, early access program(s), or registries
- Collaborates on support for medical congress activities, publications, presentations, and advisory meetings as needed
- Works with finance to develop and forecast project budgets for medical affairs activities.
EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCIES
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following:
- MD, PhD, PharmD, or equivalent advanced degree in healthcare, business degree desirable, with 5+ years’ experience in hematologic malignancies/hematology/oncology within Field Medical or equivalent (e.g., Medical Affairs Director, Field Medical Team Lead)
- Proven record of 15+ years’ strategic planning and leadership experience in the pharmaceutical or biotech industry, in Medical Affairs or New Product Planning/Early Product Commercialization
- Strong cross-functional collaboration skills and stakeholder alignment/management abilities are necessary
- Proven enterprise mindset including innovative, solutions-oriented, critical thinking with a performance driven approach to meet current and anticipate future objectives and challenges
- Advanced understanding of the US healthcare landscape, maintains therapeutic area & asset knowledge
- Thorough comprehension and application of internal/external ethical guidelines relevant to the pharmaceutical industry (e.g., FDA, OIG, HIPPA, PhRMA Code) as well as internal Field Medical policies and standard operating procedures
- Hands-on knowledge of CRM tools, Microsoft Office products, and virtual engagement platforms
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and communicate data effectively
- Strong attention to detail, internal drive to generate high-quality work, and sense of passion and urgency to achieve functional and individual goals
- Exercise good judgment in decisions, organized and with the ability to prioritize a large workload
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, able to establish/maintain/grow professional relationships
- Must be able to work in a rapidly growing, fast paced environment with start-up environment experience, preferred.