The candidate will report to the Executive Vice President and Chief Business Officer and play a leadership role in the formulation and implementation of Geron’s oncology asset acquisition strategy, with a focus on opportunities that reflect innovative science behind potentially transformative medicines. In addition, the candidate will lead our partnering efforts for ex-U.S. commercialization of imetelstat.
- Working with the company’s Executive Management Committee, play a leadership role in the formulation and implementation of the company’s oncology asset acquisition strategy, including the following:
- Develop detailed criteria to focus the asset search process on opportunities that will meet the strategic objectives of the company.
- Design and implement processes for opportunity identification and assessment to position Geron strongly in the highly competitive BD environment of oncology asset acquisition.
- Conduct regular comprehensive screening efforts; identify and provide initial technical and business evaluation of oncology in-licensing or acquisition opportunities.
- Lead cross-functional due diligence teams to deliver comprehensive and efficient technical and business assessments of acquisition/in-licensing candidates.
- Drive the deal process from first contact with potential licensors/sellers to execution of transaction agreements.
- Maintain thorough knowledge of:
- Oncology products, platforms, targets, and therapeutic approaches under investigation in hematologic malignancies throughout the industry.
- Industry trends, regulatory, legal and commercial issues.
- Play a leadership role in developing and executing our partnering strategy for ex-U.S. commercialization of the company’s lead development program, imetelstat, including the following:
- Identify potential partners and build relationships with key counter parties.
- Prepare presentation materials, establish/maintain a data room, and fulfill due diligence requests.
- Drive the deal process from first contact with potential partners to execution of transaction agreements.
- 8+ years of relevant biotech/pharma industry experience in a corporate strategy or business development role, including experience in the oncology space.
- Strong background in science; MD or PhD preferred; MBA a plus.
- Well-established business development network within the Oncology industry, including in Europe, Japan and other Asian territories.
- Demonstrated experience leading technical due diligence processes.
- Strong and demonstrable deal making skills, including established deal sheet for out-licensing from small biotech to large pharma.
- A track record of success sourcing and evaluating pharmaceutical or biotech products for potential in-licensing/acquisition, including ability to bring unique insights to see an opportunity that others may not recognize.
- Must demonstrate the scientific knowledge and gravitas to help drive internal BD strategy within the organization and hold/drive meaningful discussions externally with Pharma/Biotech executives.
- Must be a creative, results oriented self-starter with the ability to think strategically and deliver high quality deliverables through thorough planning and preparation, and thoughtful and rigorous analysis.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills - especially presentation skills; ability to summarize and present complex technical information/scientific data and strategic context to Senior Management is essential.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including a demonstrated ability to lead and work with both internal and external multidisciplinary teams.
- Ability to travel as necessary.
- A high level of integrity and an approach that is hands-on, positive, results-orientated, and success-driven.